Pictures & Details about each one of the following:
Feeding Ewes Before, During, and After Pregnancy
- Factors determining the nutritional needs of the breeding ewe
- What is her age, body size, and body condition?
- What amount of confinement vs extensive grazing will she experience?
- What is her stage of production (maintenance, pregnancy, lactation, etc.)?
- If pregnant, what trimester of pregnancy is she in and how many fetuses is she carrying?
- If lactating, how many lambs is she nursing?
- Is the mother on an accelerated lambing program, or is she on the conventional once-per-year lambing cycle?
- What is the quality of available feedstuffs, and in what form will they be fed?
- What is the health status of the ewe? Has she been de-wormed and vaccinated?
- What season of the year (i.e. summer vs winter) is it?
* Animals that are growing, pregnant, lactating, or have a high activity level may have a 25-75% increase in nutritional needs.
This page was last updated: January 7, 2008